Re: NorthStar 1.7?

Here, do this:

    Setup a test box, and follow the instructions on the Main NorthStar page
to get the latest CVS code. That's got the whois server in it (It's a
seperate perl script in the contrib directory). Add a couple of test
networks, subnets, and addresses and take a look at what is there. Try the
output, make sure that it's potentially providing all the information you
need.

    After you play with it a bit, then goto
http://cvs.brownkid.net/bugzilla, submit a bug report / feature request,
with what you want to see changed or added, and that'll at least get it into
the todo queue. I can't guarentee the changes will make it into 1.7 though.
I know that Hitesh has been very busy with his paying job (as have I) and we
are more concerned with making 1.7 stable then adding new features, just at
the moment.

    On the topic of new features, things that I am currently working on
include:

    Writing a module that will allow you to configure my reverse DNS
generation program through the NorthStar interface. This will also include
adding a table or two to the NorthStar DB. The biggest thing I hope to
accomplish is more control over forward DNS entries, moving it from an array
in the perl script to a table in the DB.

    I am going to look at rewriting the reverse DNS generation script to use
the NorthStar API, that way it can read the DB information out of the
NorthStar.conf file directly, and get all its configuration information from
the tables above. This will make the perl script plug and play instead of
the configuration nightmare it is now. :)

    I'm still working on that Reporting Module, but it's been going slowly,
real work has been taking precedence.

Thanks,

Adam "Tauvix" Debus
Network Administrator, ReachONE Internet
adam@reachone.com